Sunday, August 12, 2012

Bobby Flay's Turkey Pot Pie with Sage Crust

Our herb garden is in full bloom, and Bobby Flay's recipe for Turkey Pot Pie with Sage Crust uses Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme [insert song here].  I thought it might be a perfect recipe to showcase our fresh herbs.  I think the sage crust, which is full of other herbs, was really good, but the turkey filling was pretty bland and unremarkable.  I also wanted to try cooking with turnips.  I had never had a turnip before, and I thought that it would be an interesting addition.  The turnip is very similar to Daikon.  It smelled spicier to me, more like a radish, but I didn't actually try eating it raw to see if that was actually the case.  Unfortunately it was cooked way too long in the broth, and then again in the oven.  This dish was really disappointing especially for containing such interesting ingredients.  The vegetables were cooked way too long.  I like my vegetables to have some bite and these were mush.  There was quite a bit of fat in this dish, and I don't think it was necessary because it really didn't add much flavor.  The crust was good, but it used a lot of butter and shortening.  I can forgive this though because the crust was definitely flakey.

In the future, I'd use the filling recipe from Ina Garten's Chicken Stew with Biscuits.  I'd modify the sage crust such that it was a sage "biscuit".  Instead of a sheet of pastry for the crust I'd make biscuits.  I'd cut the fat in the biscuits as well.  I probably won't attempt this until it's cooler because pot pie isn't really a summer dish.  I guess I better start drying herbs.




No comments:

Post a Comment